Thursday, February 2, 2012

Slow & Steady...

Two wonderful discoveries this week:

First, in boot camp, I was not jogging alongside a limping twelve year old. Well, she wasn't there. I was jogging next to an older guy who is clearly the least fit man in the class. And he was walking. Not sure this is an improvement, but it picked up as we warmed up. I was not jogging at the front of the pack, but I was holding my own in the center. Slow and steady wins the race. I got it all over steady. I may jog like a snail, but I can jog for long.

Patting myself on the back for going to boot camp, despite how busy I've been. I almost said no, too tired, too much, after five massage appointments and a long day, but went anyway and, as always, glad for it. I said something about this on facebook and my mother posted, "bragging or complaining?" Well. Why does it have to be between two negatives? I respond, "congratulating myself. And complaining." I certainly earned the privilege.

Second, I went to the beach for a short break to visit my Aunt Jeannie and catch a little R&R. I meant to go and come back Monday, but my time got so crunched, what with the World Beer Festival on Saturday and all, that I didn't leave until Sunday afternoon. I stayed for all of Monday and drove back early Tuesday before my first client.

On Monday, I went for a run and was pleasantly surprised that I made it all the way from my aunt's house down to the Pig and around again, a distance of four miles!! And, not only that, it felt good! I enjoyed myself, didn't over-do, didn't hurt anything, was barely sore.

I thought about this: At the beach, I run four miles with relative ease. At home, at Camp Gravatt, I run two miles and I am wiped. What gives? I have decided, it must be the sand. The sand gives. At Gravatt, I run on sand. It makes all the difference in the world. If I can do four miles out here, I will bet I could do eight somewhere else! Worth trying, even if the distance thing is blowing my ego.

So that's it for now. I have way more to say about the World Beer Festival, but it gets it's on blog post.

1 comment:

  1. Try running in a canyon, where the only place to go is up!

    ReplyDelete